Forensic report confirms two Kashmiri young women were raped


Srinagar, June 7, 2009: A Forensic Science Laboratory report into the Shopian incident issued, today, revealed that the two women were raped before being murdered.

Forensic report has confirmed that two women found dead in Shopian town last week had been raped before being murdered.

The police registered a case of gang rape after a Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) report received Saturday evening, a senior police officer said.

"The report was received by us yesterday (Saturday)," the official said to IANS.
The killing of the two women, Neelofar Jan, 22, and her sister-in-law Asiya Jan, 17, led to massive protests across Kashmir where life has been paralyzed completely for the past week.

The autopsy of the two bodies was conducted last Saturday. The samples collected by a team of doctors were sent to FSL.

The villagers and the family members of the two women said that they were raped and murdered by the Indian troops when they were left home to orchard.
On Saturday, the daily English newspapers in Srinagar reports that the Forensic Science Laboratory report has confirmed that two young women were gang raped and then murdered in Shopian, last week.

Findings of the forensic laboratory Srinagar testified that Asiya and her sister-in-law, Nilofer, were first gang raped and then brutally killed in Shopian on last Saturday.

“The FSL report confirms the initial post-mortem report which had said that the victims were gang raped,” report the local daily English newspapers in Srinagar.

“During the scientific investigation, the tests were positive, which prove that both the women were gang raped,” the report of the doctors said. The visceral report as well as the report of cloth samples established that the duo was gang raped and then murdered.

The team of experts in the forensic laboratory during the investigation ascertained that the two young women had been gang raped.

Chief Medical Officer Shopian, Dr Paul confirmed the newspapers that he had received the report. “The forensic report handed over to me is sealed and it will be opened before the team which is investigating the case,” he said.

Asiya (17) and her sister in law, Nilofer (23), a pregnant of Bongam Shopian went missing on May 28 from an orchard at Nagbal Shopian where they had gone for some work.

It is pertinent to mention here that massive protests erupted in the Kashmir valley following the murder of two young women who were gang raped and later on killed by the troopers.

A top police official said, “FIR in this case is likely to be registered today (Sunday) as doctors have submitted the FSL report/